Explore Pinetop-Lakeside: Top Trails for Every Adventurer
Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona, in the White Mountains, offers various outdoor adventures for enthusiasts of all levels. Here are some trails to explore, whether you’re on foot, bike, ATV, or horseback.
Check out Tracks White Mountain for a full list of the 200+ mile trail system in the White Mountain region. They have a team of over 650 volunteers to help maintain the trail system.
- Mogollon Rim Trail: This scenic trail, with sections ranging from easy to challenging, provides stunning vistas of the Mogollon Rim and surrounding forest.
- Billy Creek Trailhead: This moderate trail leads to a beautiful waterfall, perfect for a refreshing break.
- Big Springs Trailhead: This easy trail leads to a large spring, a popular spot for picnicking and wildlife watching. (Off Woodland Road behind Pinetop movie theater). Visit the nearby White Mountain Nature Center for raptor shows and guided hikes.
- Woodland Park Trail: Urban, in town, family-friendly, pet-friendly, and contains wheelchair accommodation. Be sure to bring a painted rock to add the local Sadie the Rock Snake.
- Ice Cave Trail: Experience this 6.8-mile out-and-back trail near Lakeside, Arizona. Generally considered a moderately challenging route — this is a popular trail for hiking, horseback riding, and walking.
- Country Club Trail #632: This moderate trail offers scenic views of the surrounding mountains and forests. Located two miles north of Buck Springs Road off Sky Hi Road.
- Country Club Trail #623: This easy trail is perfect for a leisurely bike ride through the pines.
- Timber Mesa Trailhead: This moderate trail leads to stunning views of the White Mountains. It is conveniently located near the Lakeside Ranger Station with paved roads and parking that accommodates trailers.
The Maverick Trail contains the following trailheads: Burton, Clay Springs, Panorama Trailhead, Sky-Hi, and Timber Mesa.
We encourage you to connect with the White Mountain Open Trails Association (WMOTA). An adult-oriented group committed to the creation and preservation of trails, along with providing information on the safe usage of OHV Trails.
- Porter Mountain Stables: Offers guided horseback riding tours through the scenic Pinetop-Lakeside area. Check out their Sunset Ride packages. They are open all year yet closed on Sundays. This is near the Ice Cave Trail off Porter Mountain Road.
- Pinetop Lakes Equestrian Center: This center is off Buck Springs Road in Pinetop and offers horseback riding lessons, trail rides, and boarding facilities.
- Be sure to check the weather conditions before you head out, as they can change quickly in the mountains.
- Dress in layers and wear proper footwear for the activity you’ve chosen.
- Bring plenty of water and snacks, especially if you’re going on a long hike or ride.
- Leave no trace behind. Pack out all your trash and respect the natural environment.
We hope this helps you plan your next outdoor adventure in Pinetop-Lakeside!
Frank M. Smith & Associates Realty has been serving the White Mountain community in Arizona for 40-years. Let us help you find your next home or home away from home!
Call 928-369-4000 or visit www.resortaz.com to connect with an experienced Realtor.